Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Scary Night

Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Dear Max,
Tonight was a scary night! It really all started on Sunday afternoon up in the mountains. You started to have a bout of diarrhea. It continued all the rest of Sunday, and all day Monday. By Monday night when it still had not stopped we decided that you better stay home with your daddy and try to get feeling better. When your daddy called me Tuesday afternoon and said he needed to go into work and you still were not feeling better, I came on home to assess the situation myself. You looked so sick, I started to worry about dehydration. Your daddy called from work to see how you were doing and when I said you still were not doing better, he suggested I call the nurses help line to get some "professional" advise. When I told them about the situation and they asked a few questions, the nurse said that based on my answers they suggested that we take you to the emergency room within 2 hours! WHAT? At first I was wondering what answer was it that pushed it over the "edge" should I rethink my answers? I called your daddy and he said he would be right home. While I waited for daddy to get home I packed your diaper bag and an extra bag with some extras that I thought might make our evening at the emergency room a little better. Each time you had gone to the bathroom during the past two and 1/2 day's you had messed clear through your clothes so the one thing I was for sure going to bring was lot's of extra clothes! After daddy gave you a blessing we headed to the Summerlain Hospital (thanks to a helpful hint from our friends). We didn't have to wait long before they moved us in the back to a little room. The nurse came first to access and then the doctor. The doctor (Dr. Z) was convinced that you were in fact dehydrated, but the nurse kept arguing with him saying you weren't. So he finally said to her, let's wait till the results come back and I'll show you! Well, on a scale of normal being 28 - 32 you came in at 18. You were dehydrated! The nurse hooked you up to an IV, after trying the first foot and ending on your other foot, you were a complete trooper. You screamed as they put the IV in (both times) but as soon as they got the IV in and wrapped up, I picked you up and snuggled you and you were asleep within minutes. As I sat there holding you, your daddy looked at me and said
"Does this bring back memories?"
It sure did, memories of meeting you in your hospital room for the first time, holding you close and praying for to get better. Your daddy said that the only thing that would have made it more like the first time the three of us hung out in a hospital room, was if the life flight helicopter pad was right outside our window. Max, being parents is a lot of hard work and worry. I have never worried about someone as much we worry about you. I have asked so many times, why we had to wait so long after you were born to be by your side. Why were we not able to be with you, when you needed us? It's hard to think about those day's you were in the hospital all by yourself. Especially seeing how much you needed us tonight. I know that you were protected by guardian angels and the countless nurses and doctors during that time, but I still have moments when I wonder why? As I sat there holding you this evening I questioned if I would have been strong enough for you? Would our hearts survived those 17 days? Even though I wish so bad I could have been there for you, I know that all three of us were being protected and prepared for each other. Your daddy and I are so grateful that now we can be by your side for forever. It took some time to get you feeling better tonight, our adventure began around 8:30 pm and we were glad to be getting home to our own bed by 2:00 am. They took a bunch of other tests to make sure you didn't have anything more serious, and all came back negative. Just a bout of the poops! Hopefully you will be back to "normal" quickly!

Wait... Do you think I'm strange cause I had the camera
at the Emergency Room?

I had to document this!


Outfit #2
Eating your identification band



At least it was keeping you entertained!


If only you knew what was coming next...
ignorance is bliss!


Outfit #3
The IV is in


Sad little face


After a snuggle with mommy you were sacked out.
It took 2 hours for the IV to drip so you had a good nap
while we waited.




1 comment: