Sunday, October 3, 2010
Dear Max,
It's been another crazy week. Mommy had her first of two FAM weekends at work. I'm lucky enough to have a set work schedule that gives me my weekends free, but once a year we have FAM trips where we bring in our top customers to "Fam"iliarize them with our properties. Well, this year we have decided to hold two events. This being the first. It is always tough to be away, but especially tough being away and being in the same city. We are kept very busy, which helps the time pass and before I knew it, it was time to come home. I was fortunate enough to participate in a very touching service project on Saturday. We donated our time at the St. Judes Ranch for Children. It's a ranch out in Boulder City for foster children. The children that are at this ranch are children who have moved at least 3 times between foster homes. I was so unaware that the foster system had families participating that don't care properly for the children placed in their homes. At St. Judes Ranch, the children live with house parents in separate homes. Their are 10 homes on the property and our team agreed to paint the interior of all 10 homes. It was such hard work, but such rewarding work. The kids were able to pick out the colors they wanted for their rooms, which they were thrilled about. Their was one little boy, who touched my soul. He had recently been adopted by a couple from Las Vegas, about a month after he was adopted the family dropped him back off at the ranch. He was devastated and is still dealing with the ramifications of what this has done to him mentally. It's unbelievable to me that these kids go through such challenges at a young age, this boy is only 6. It seems so unfair. I want to do so much more to help them. They are in such great need for everything out there. Clothes, shoes, coats, bedding everything. Spending time in the homes it was clear to see they are getting by with the bare minimum. If I could I would have taken all of the kids home, you would have had a bunch of new brothers and sisters. Max, I'm so grateful for your birth mothers decision. I know it was not an easy choice, and who's to say what your path might have been, but I'm an confident that their is a reason we are a family. Seeing those kids struggle made me grateful for our strong family and extended family. I know that even when things get rough we have a support system around us that will always help. These kids really don't have this type of support, and to think at 18 they are out of the system and expected to make it on their own. I'd like to think I didn't need my parents after I turned 18, but the truth of it is I STILL need my parents :) I know I'll be back to St. Judes Ranch, I don't know when, but I am committed to do more to help this cause and these kids.
After an emotional and exhausting last couple of days, it was a welcome relief to enjoy conference in the comfort of our home. I'm grateful for our association with the church and the knowledge that we gain each conference from our church leaders. I love you Max!
3 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment