Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sealed for Eternity


Saturday, June 27, 2009
Dear Max,

What a day! We have been looking forward to today with such anticipation and to finally have the day arrived almost seemed surreal. Your daddy and I (well, maybe more me) have been planning, planning and planning your special day. From invitations to family and friends, to your special sealing and blessing outfit and of course the food. And to see the day that we have always in vision unfold better than we ever expected - it was so fun.


It's a different tasks finding a blessing outfit for a baby that is 7 months old. Typically babies are blessed when they are about 2 months old. And you of course, you are an over achiever so let's just say we were on the hunt for blessing outfits in the 18 month size range. Which does limit our options. But with much perseverance the perfect outfit was found. The next challenge was ensuring that it would still fit by the very important day. And when the sealing date was pushed back by a week, the panic set in. I tried your outfit on you every day (is it wrong to have a 7 month old on a diet?)... And the fateful day finally arrived and guess what... It still fit! You were adorable!!


Your Auntie Emilie made your announcements for us. They were so cute. I saved a copy of them for you - this one has the wrong date on it... but it's a fun reminder of how crazed we were changing all the plans from the 20th to the 27th.


Grammie and I spent many hours on the phone coordinating center pieces, food and decor. We had so much fun working together on this. I kept saying to your Grammie, "How will I ever repay you for all of your work?" You know Grammie she just said, "It's what I do, and I love you!" You and I are so lucky to have an amazing and talented Mom and Grammie.


Now you know that only crazy things happen to us... well, we had some bumps in the road on our preparation of your sealing day, but by far the largest scare came at 1:30 pm on Saturday as your Daddy, you and I were getting ready to go to the Temple. We needed arrive at 2:20 pm.

Grammie knocked on the door and said

"The Temple is on the phone and they are saying that we are 20 minutes late?"

"WHAT??? Are you kidding me?" I grabbed the phone from Grammie and the lady on the phone kept saying,

"You're suppose to be here at 1:00 pm!"

"I started to cry... NO! We have all our family and friends coming at 3:20 pm - their is no way we could ever get there in time!" I asked if the East Sealing room was available at 3:20 pm - she said no that their was another sealing taking place at that time. I couldn't believe it. All this planning and preparation. What were we going to do??

The sweet little lady then says "Your the Baxter's Right?" Are you kidding me? She called the wrong family! I'm telling you - my heart can't take that kind of excitement. I'm too old for this! The sealing that was taking place in the East room at 3:20... it was us!


Grampie was sweet enough to give your daddy and I father's blessings before we left for the temple. We arrived at the Temple at 2:20 pm an hour before our sealing at 3:20 pm. It was surreal walking into the temple with you. Already friends and family had started showing up. It was fun to see them all there and they were so excited to see you. You went into the Nursery with Grammie and Daddy and I went to get ready. As we sat in a different sealing room waiting we were both overwhelmed with the emotion of being there in the temple with you. We talked about how our desire to create an eternal family was finally starting. We talked about how a little more than 10 years ago we sat in that same sealing room waiting to get married and the excitement of that time. And now here we are 10 years later with a greater excitement and love than either thought possible. President Gray Larkin came in and talked with us. President Larkin is such a sweet man and he performed our sealing. He was thrilled to be asked, because he is the adoptive father of 3! We have similar stories in that he and his wife were also married for 10 years before they adopted their first, which were twin boys. Their twin boys were born sick, just like you, and had to have some extra special care, and just like you turned into healthy little dudes. It was special to share our story with him and for him to share his.


We left the sealing room and went upstairs to the East Sealing room. This is the same room that your daddy and I were married in, which is the same room that Grampie and Grammie were married in, which is the same room that Great Grandma and Grandpa Snow were married in. To have you in this room with us! Oh I'm crying thinking about it. We waited as our friends and family joined us and your Grammie brought you in. You were so handsome and happy. I will never forget your face that day. And you became ours for all eternity. Oh - Max, I love you so much!


After we left the temple we took some family pictures around the temple grounds. It was so fun to enjoy the time with family around the temple and to know that our great friends were preparing for our arrival back at Grammie's and Grampie's church house.


Shortly after we arrived at the church house (Daddy, you and I stopped at Frost Stop for a big Fresh Lime... we were dying of thirst! Summer in St. George... HOT!) we all met in the Relief Society Room. Grampie conducted and gave a prayer and Grammie led us in singing Families are Forever, while Jaden played the piano. Daddy gave you a name and a blessing. You had definitely had a long day already and you were not happy about leaving your mommy. Which made me feel nice - however, Daddy was trying to talk over your crying, which made for a great memory! Poor Daddy - however, he did such a great job! Standing in the circle with Daddy was, Grampie, Uncle Geary, Bishop Hinrichsen, Uncle Dennis, Peter Ballantyne and Jaden Cox.


After that we all got ready to move into the cultural hall for dinner. But Grampie had a surprise for our family! He asked for everyone to wait and Grampie told us that he had written a book for you. He wrote you a book called the Fireman and Noah. I'm sure you've read it a million times by the time your reading this. And so you already know how special this book is. But, Max, it literally took my breath away that your Grampie took the time and was inspired to write a book especially for you to help you understand and cherish a part of your story. And as if the words were not enough, Grampie asked your Auntie Sherlene to illustrate your story. Your precious story put into words and illustrations for you by people who love you so much. As a mother I can not think of something more that could fill my heart. I'm so touched by the thoughtfulness. I have promised Grampie that I will find your guardian angel fireman. Daddy and I have said a thousand times how we regret letting him leave that day without getting his name or information. I know we will find him and Grampie has made a copy of the book for him too - and I look forward to sharing with him Grampie's book.


We then moved into the cultural hall and enjoyed visiting and eating with the friends and family who shared our special day with us. Max, we are so fortunate to have such amazing family and friends. They continually show their love and support for our family. We are blessed and we love them all so much.


Max, this day has been amazing! I want you to know that you are loved. I never want you to doubt how much you are loved. Daddy and I prayed, waited and starting loving you before you ever arrived. But when you finally did - it was amazing how our love for you grew. You have opened a part of our hearts that we didn't even know we had. Thank you for finding us!


Our Family


With Grammie and Grampie



Uncle Geary, Natalie, Daniel and Aunt Jali



My Cousins


The Boys


Families are Forever



Uncle Dennis, Uncle Geary, Bishop, Daddy, Grampie, Jaden and Peter



Sign in Table



Center Pieces



Yummy Food



Even more yummy food



Personalized Cup Cakes...



For Max!















3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day that was. Thanks for letting us share it with you. It was so fun to see you and finally meet Max. What a special guy he is! I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so bummed that we weren't able to make it down for your big day...we were thinking about you guys the whole weekend! It looks like it was a great day. We are so happy for you! Let us know if you ever want to come down this way, we would love to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congradulations on your Sealing, I am so happy for you. Terry is always saying nice things about your parents. I am sure when he reads your blog he will be happy for you too! What a wonderful story your family has. I hope that happiness will follow you. Mary Harmon

    ReplyDelete