Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Update on Auntie Heather

Saturday, February 13, 2010
Dear Max,
Hi Sweetie, I'm so happy that I'm updating you today on Auntie Heather. It has been an absolutely wild ride, that I will try to depict to you. But know that as we are here on the other side of this journey for her, things are well. Last Thursday a diagnosis was finally given, only a week after being hospitalized. Ecoli. The infection entered her blood stream and went directly to the weakest part of her body, her heart and lungs. In November she was diagnosed with a shorten aorta. Of course having the infection go straight to the most vital parts of our bodies was not good. Hence, ICU, breathing tubes, 10 day coma etc. On Friday, February 5th, Grammie came down to Vegas and picked you and me up so we could head up to St. George to see Heather. Daddy had to work on Saturday and would not be able to leave until late Saturday night. I was so worried, that I didn't want to wait, and luckily Grammie really likes to spend time with you so she was happy to come and get us! Seeing Auntie Heather in the hospital was heart breaking. She looked so sick. I was surprised that Chris was handling everything so well, on the outside I'm sure. They only let 2 people in at a time, so it did take some coordination being the weekend and several friends and family all coming to town to see Auntie Heather. But that gave lot's of extra hands to help entertain you in the waiting room while I could spend some time with Heather. It was surreal to be back in an ICU environment and under such different circumstances. I remember talking with Daddy when we spent those day's with you at the ICU, and even though you were healthy by then, the tension on the floor is really high. To be there with Heather, her being so sick, and knowing that a lot of that tension was due to her condition, it was very different. Although she was stable, things were still uneasy. The ICU does have strict visiting hours. Which I think in part is a good thing, it forced the family to leave the hospital, otherwise they would have been their 24/7. We did take advantage of being all together, and stayed up late Saturday night visiting and playing games. Sunday we went back in the afternoon to see Auntie Heather. No real change to her circumstance at that point. However, by Monday it seemed like she was making LEAPS of improvement. The antibiotics were starting to do her job and her body was finally reacting. And when it decided to react it reacted quickly. Monday, February 8th (Chris' Birthday) she made a big improvement and by Tuesday they had taken her breathing tubes out and she was trying to breath on her own. By Wednesday (her mommy's birthday) they had moved her from ICU back to the regular floor and she was on the mend. I talked to her on the phone on Thursday, it was hard to understand her, her speech was really slurred, but it was so wonderful to hear her voice. Our family went back up to St. George yesterday (the 12th). We went back to spend some time with Auntie Heather. They will be moving her to a rehab center were she will spend the next few weeks re-learning how to walk, talk, eat and getting back her fine motor skills. But she is a fighter and she will be back to as good as new! I felt like a new mom seeing Auntie Heather today. It was such a vast difference from the last time I saw her. I would look at her feet, and say "oh look, your feet aren't swollen anymore" "your coloring is SOOO much better! Your not gray anymore!" it just goes on and on. Autie Heather doesn't remember being in the coma for 10 days. She was quite shocked when she came out that their was such a "to do" over her being sick. We are so grateful for her recovery and will be cheering her along the way as she continues her road to full recovery. Max, it is a true answer to prayers. I'm so thankful for all the prayers and faith of our friends and family, even mommy and daddy's friends that have never met Heather had the faith to pray for her recovery. I'm so grateful!
Saturday, February 6, 2010

Auntie Heather - ICU


Grandma Hein and Olivia helping you walk


Such great entertainment in the waiting room


You are so proud of yourself!


Thank you for entertaining me!


Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olivia sharing her juice box with you.
Olivia pushed you up and down the hall's. She was a really good babysitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment