Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

Sunday, May 9, 2010
Dear Max,
Today is mother's day. It still is strange that I now "officially" fit into this category of "mother". I think I have gone so long not really loving this day, that it is hard to accept any type of fuss for myself. Instead, I enjoy putting the fuss and excitement of the day onto Grammie and Grandma. These are two special moms, and maybe since they have been moms for a lot longer than me, it just seems that this day was made for them. I've told you many special things about your Grandma, but I want to tell you about my special relationship with your Grammie.

I call it the full circle. You see when you are a baby and a child, much like you are right now, you need your moms. You need them to feed you, love you, shelter you and cloth you. They are your everything, you could not function without them. You spend all your time together, eat all your meals together. Laugh together, your mom is your best friend. This notion of best friends is where the circle comes into play. Grammie and I, we are best friends. As I grew and became more independent my need for my best friend came and went. I think back into junior high and high school, and my best friend is who I would call at 6:30 in the morning to decide if I should wear the red socks or white socks. This best friend was the one that at the time you thought knew all the answers and would never let you down. But with life, their were and will be times when your friends let you down. My "real" best friend was always there, and Max, your "real" best friend will always be there for you. I know this cause I learned from the best. Grammie was always there for me and I will always be there for you. I knew I was lucky, but I don't think I realized how luck I was at the time. As an adult my mom, your Grammie has always stood by my side, she has lifted my soul when I was feeling down, she has encouraged me when decisions haven't always been easy and always found a way to sympathize with my aching heart when life gave me some tough pills to swallow. What more could a best friend do? Nothing. But it wasn't until I became a mom myself that I realized how much I appreciate my best friend. Max, your Grammie is like no other. I think, just the other day when it was discovered that you had a double ear infection, my first call was of course to your daddy, but my next call was to Grammie. And her words, what can I do? Without hesitation my best friend is to my rescue. I can not tell you all the countless times that Grammie has rescued me. So many tough "mommy" decisions these days and I often times feel much like a child myself, in constant need of my mommy. Maybe not to feed, cloth or shelter me, but certainly to love me and my family. We are so grateful to have Grammie, she is a constant example of unconditional love, service, acceptance, learning and fun. She never lets a moment escape that she could possibly teach or create. I learn from her everyday. I have come full circle.

In celebration of all that is mother, we started the day off with some breakfast made by Daddy. During breakfast I opened my cards and gifts. You, Daddy and Cooper gave me a spa day! Oh! I'm so excited!! Then we went to church, on the way to church, Auntie Andrea called and decided to drive up to St. George to surprise her Mommy and wanted to know if you and I wanted to join her. We said of course, we went ahead and attended sacrament meeting. I do enjoy sacrament meeting on mothers day, the little primary kids singing, is always so touching. I found myself thinking a lot about your birth mom today. A silent prayer in my heart that she is doing well. Max, I'm so grateful for her and her love for you. I'm grateful for her decision to give you life. I pray that she is at peace today.

After sacrament meeting, daddy left for work and we went to St. George to surprise Grammie. It was so fun to see her reaction. She had no idea we were coming, I sent you in the door first, and she just started to cry. It was such a great moment. We didn't get to stay long, but definitely worth the drive. We went over to see Grandma Trenholm too - we stopped real quick to let Daddy talk on the phone, take some pictures and then we were off! It was a whirlwind! And just like that, the one day a year dedicated to mothers, was over.


Max, helping Grandma work the phone to talk with Daddy


Grandma and Max sharing some pringles sticks


Not being a very good sharer


My handsome boy! I love you!!


Grandma talking with Daddy on Mother's Day



Mommy and Grammie
Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful mom. She has been an 'adopted' mom to so many...myself included. How we have all enjoyed the hospitality and love we feel every time we are in the Page home. I know that you learned to be the incredible mother that you are, from your incredible mother. Love you lots Aunt Rae!!

    ReplyDelete