Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I don't know if we can be friends anymore...


This is all I can say...

Saturday, May 1, 2010
Dear Max,
Oh Max, where do I begin? Thursday...let's begin with Thursday. Wednesday night, you didn't sleep well, you ended up in our bed, which means that non of us slept. I dropped you off at Jaime's and before I even got to work, Jaime had called and said, she didn't think you were feeling well. So I made a doctor appointment for you and came home. We went to the doctor to discover that you have a DOUBLE ear infection! Yup, a DOUBLE! I had no idea what this meant. Ignorance is not always bliss, so I followed my instincts and reacted by...
Calling Daddy, filled your prescription and callled Grammie. And just like that Grammie was on the move, back down to Vegas to help. Daddy and I both had important meetings on Friday, that of course we would have missed, had Grammie not been able to come, but having Grammie swing into action saved us.

You slept most of the day on Friday, were fairly low key Friday evening, and went to bed easily, sleeping through the night. I thought... "this ear infection thing, it's not too bad!" Why...why did I ever think these words, it's as if you had something to prove....

Saturday you woke up a changed little boy.
Non stop jabbering, jabbering just to jabber, I didn't mind this, it was kind of funny.
Then you started to walk...your balance is off, you fell on your bottom and then it began. Insane crying. I try to pick you up, you go limp, now, on the floor full blown tantrum. WHAT IS THIS!?! Where is my low key little boy? I'm not sure how to react to such behavior. Ignore it? Console it? Scold it? Nothing seemed right and for sure nothing worked. Their was nothing that could be done to make this better. After what seemed like an eternity, it was only 10:00 am, we thought, a nap might do the trick!

Maybe you slept, maybe not. Who knows what happens in there?! Grammie wanted to take us out to lunch for Mothers Day. What a sweet idea, to celebrate what we both are, Mommies! You woke up and we headed out. We decided that we should eat first, before running a couple other errands to ensure that we would get the "best" you.

And that's when it all fell apart. We went to a Sushi restaurant, that I will not name, as I'm trying to keep our identity a secret, so maybe we can sneak back in without them noticing it us. I'm sure we will have to give them a few months to recover. I've never experienced such horror as I did in the sushi restaurant. It was as if another little boy was in your body, a bad little boy. Throwing cups, tipping over chairs, running into the kitchen, screaming your head off, oh I could go on and on. The problem, I was so ill prepared. I have never met this side of you, and of course get introduced to him in public, with the world watching... how will this mom do it? Like this!

PACK IT UP! Pack it all up! We are leaving now! But I just got my coke? They were not prepared for a "take out" drink. But in a desperate moment our waitress got creative. Yup, I drank my coke from a macaroni salad to go container! Max, I could not believe that here we were celebrating being Mom's and I'm getting the ultimate mom test...Was it a poor decision to take you in public in such rare form? Who knows! I'm sure theirs a million different answers and a million different scenario's but what I know is that this was embarrassing! I could not believe it. I'm doubting my mom abilities. I thought I would be one of those mom's that would always have it "under control" or at least be able to pretend.

I'm so grateful for Grammie. She was a trooper putting up with all our crazy! I have no idea what I would do without her. So our Mothers day lunch consisted of us sitting in the car eating sushi out of to go containers, mixing our wasabi and soy sauce with an empty edamame shell in a parking lot. Glamorous! And I would like to say that you sat quietly in the back... but that's not the case. Interesting enough as we started our drive back home and got about a mile away from the house the most happy jabbering and giggles started coming from the back seat. Who's back there? I think it's Jekyll and Hyde!

Grammie and I pulled into the driveway and I just started laughing. As I'm staring at the macaroni cup that our coke came in, listening to a suddenly happy baby giggle, thinking back to the shear terror of the sushi house. Max, I don't know if we can be friends anymore! I'm seriously doubting my mom abilities! And just to think, Grammie felt like she could leave us! She's a trusting and brave Grammie!

Max, we are friends, and I'm so grateful for you...all of you. I'm just praying that this is not your new personality! Oh heavens!

1 comment: